What is the Current State of the Top Cosmetic Manufacturers in the World?
Last year the global cosmetic industry value grew an estimated 5.5% year-over-year and will be worth USD 429.8 billion by 2022. By 2022, the global cosmetic industry will grow at CAGR of 4.3% as beauty trends reach new heights and the industry becomes one of the most lucrative ventures in business. At the forefront of this growth are the top cosmetic manufacturers in the world as they drive consistent revenue growth over the years. The top cosmetic manufacturers in the world driving this growth are Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble, and Unilever by revenue in 2020. The global cosmetic industry is primarily dominated by the largest cosmetics companies in the USA — as US-based companies represent 4 out of the top 10 on this list of cosmetic manufacturers.
This fact sheet is to assist business professionals, investors, and readers that are interested in gaining insights into the global cosmetics industry including:
- Who are the largest cosmetic manufacturers in the world?
- What is the best cosmetic company?
- What are the global cosmetic industry statistics and trends you should know in 2020
BizVibe is already helping the top cosmetic brands in the world in the world connect. Connect and track the latest news and insights from these companies.
Global Cosmetic Industry Trends and Stats
- The global cosmetic market grew an estimated 5.5 percent year-over-year last year.
- Skincare accounts for 40 percent of the global cosmetics market.
- Johnson & Johnson is the largest cosmetics company in the world in 2020 with revenues exceeding USD 82.06 billion last year.
- The beauty industry is valued at $532 billion.
- Targeted pricing helps reach new demographics: The beauty industry is dominated by millennials and targeted pricing at all ranges move more cosmetic products.
- The clean beauty movement continues to gain traction — Sustainability is becoming increasingly important to transparency-minded customers.
- 21% of Americans are buying organic makeup.
- 48% of Millennials say they would purchase products with CBD oil for skincare.
- 51% of consumers want to see images that are not photo-shopped.
- There are almost 1 million employees in the service segments of the cosmetics industry.
- Skincare accounts for 60% of the total profit in the beauty industry.
- Facial skin masks account for half of the total Korean cosmetics market share.
- 4 out of 5 American women say they regularly use fragrance products.
Top 10 Largest Cosmetic Manufacturers in the World by Revenue 2020
Who are the top 10 largest cosmetic manufacturers in the world in 2020? The following is a list of top cosmetic manufacturers in the world ranked by revenue. We also elaborate on company size, brands owned and key areas served these major cosmetic manufacturing companies.
Revenue (USD billions)
|1||Johnson & Johnson||USD 82.06 billion||132,200||USA|
|2||Procter & Gamble||USD 67.7 billion||97,000||USA|
|3||Unilever||USD 58.03 billion||155,000||England/Netherlands|
|4||L’Oréal||USD 33.34 billion||89,331||France|
|5||Kao||USD 14.7 billion||34,743||Japan|
|6||Estée Lauder||USD 13.68 billion||46,000||USA|
|7||Shiseido||USD 9.9 billion||38,640||Japan|
|8||Coty||USD 9.4 billion||20,000||USA|
|9||Beiersdorf||USD 8.9 billion||20,059||Germany|
|10||AmorePacific||USD 5.5 billion||6,267||South Korea|
Who is the largest cosmetic manufacturer in the world? American multinational corporation Johnson & Johnson is the largest cosmetic manufacturer in the world and ranks number 1 on BizVibe’s list of the top cosmetics manufacturers in the world by revenue in 2020. Johnson & Johnson’s main areas of focus are consumer health, medical devices, and pharmaceuticals. The company is divided into 3 main product segments with pharmaceuticals representing 44.9%; medical devices representing 35.9%; and consumer products representing 19.2%.
In 2019. Johnson & Johnson generated USD 82.06 billion in revenues — making it the top cosmetic manufacturing company on this list by revenue. The company was founded in 1886 in New Jersey, USA, and currently employs over 132,200 people worldwide. Johnson & Johnson’s most notable cosmetic products include Neutrogena skin and beauty products, Clean & Clear facial wash and Acuvue contact lenses. Johnson & Johnson represents over 27% of the revenue among the top cosmetic manufacturing companies on this list.
- Founded: 1886
- Johnson & Johnson Headquarters: New Jersey, USA
- Johnson & Johnson Revenue: USD 82.06 billion
- Johnson & Johnson Number of Employees: 132,200
Johnson & Johnson Cosmetic Products and Brands
Procter & Gamble ranks 2nd on BizVibe’s list of the top cosmetic manufacturers in the world ranked by revenue in 2020. Procter & Gamble is an American multinational consumer goods corporation headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, and founded 182 years ago in 1837. Procter & Gamble generated USD 67.7 billion in revenue last year, making it the 2nd largest cosmetic company in the world by revenue in 2020. The company specializes in various personal care and health segments including beauty, grooming, health care, fabric & home care; and baby, feminine, & family care. Procter & Gamble currently has operations in the USA, Canada, Hungary, Brazil, UK, Australia, and many more countries. The company currently employs over 97,000 people worldwide.
- Founded: 1837
- Procter & Gamble Headquarters: Ohio, USA
- Procter & Gamble Revenue: USD 67.7 billion
- Procter & Gamble Number of Employees: 97,000
Procter & Gamble Cosmetic Products and Brands
- Baby Care
- Fabric Care
- Family Care
- Feminine Care
- Hair Care
- Home Care
- Oral Care
- Personal Health Care
- Skin & Personal Care
Procter & Gamble Areas Served
- Asia Pacific, India, the Middle East and Africa (AMA)
- Greater China
- Latin America
- North America
Ranking 3rd on this list of the largest cosmetic manufacturing companies is Unilever. Unilever is a British-Dutch multinational consumer goods company co-headquartered in London, England, and Rotterdam, Netherlands. The company specializes in cleaning agents, beauty products, and personal care products in the cosmetics segments. Additionally, the company also specializes in food, energy drink, ice cream, and tea products in other segments. Currently, Unilever owns over 400 brands, making it one of the largest companies in brand ownership as well. One of the most successful companies, Unilever currently owns 13 brands that make over 1 billion euros in sales annually including Axe/Lynx, Dove, Omo, Heartbrand ice creams, Hellmann’s, Knorr, Lipton, Lux, Magnum, Rexona/Degree, Sunsilk, and Surf. In 2019, Uniliver generated USD 58.03 billion in revenues.
- Founded: 1929
- Unilever Headquarters: London, England, UK & Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Unilever Revenue: USD 58.03 billion
- Unilever Number of Employees: 155,000
Unilever Cosmetic Products and Brands
L’Oréal ranks 4th on this list of the top cosmetic manufacturers in the world by revenue in 2020. L’Oréal is a French personal care company headquartered in Clichy, Hauts-de-Seine. L’Oreal is one of the only companies on this list that focuses primarily on cosmetics and that’s why many consider it the largest cosmetics company in the world. The company is known for specializing in hair color, skincare, sun protection, make-up, perfume, and hair care. In 2019, L’Oréal generated USD 33.34 billion — most of it coming from its cosmetics segments. L’Oréal currently employs 89,331 people at the company.
- Founded: 1909
- L’Oréal Headquarters: Clichy, France
- L’Oréal Revenue: USD 33.34 billion
- L’Oréal Number of Employees: 89,331
L’Oréal Cosmetic Brands
- L’Oréal Paris
- NYX Cosmetics
- Carol’s Daughter
- Créateurs de Beauté
Kao Corporation is a chemical and cosmetics company headquartered in Nihonbashi-Kayabacho, Chūō, Tokyo, Japan. Kao comes in 5th on this list of the top cosmetic manufacturers in the world in 2020 ranked by revenue. In 2019, Kao generated USD 14.7 billion in revenue and currently employs 34,743 people. Kao is own for owning many notable brands including Attack, Ban, Kanebo, and more. Kao is the largest cosmetic manufacturing company in Japan as of 2020.
- Founded: 1887
- Kao Headquarters: Tokyo, Japan
- Kao Revenue: USD 14.7 billion
- Kao Number of Employees: 34,743
- John Frieda
- Molton Brown
6. Estée Lauder
Known for prestige skincare, makeup, fragrance, and hair care products, Estée Lauder ranks 6th on this list of the top 10 largest cosmetic manufacturers in the world by revenue in 2020. Estée Lauder is an American multinational manufacturer of cosmetics and other beauty products. Last year the company generated USD 13.68 billion in revenue ranking it 6th on by revenue on this list of cosmetic manufacturers. The company owns a diverse portfolio of brands, distributed internationally through both digital commerce and retail channels. Estée Lauder’s most popular cosmetic brands include Bobbi Brown, MAC Cosmetics, Darphin, and many more.
- Founded: 1946
- Estée Lauder Headquarters: New York City, New York, USA
- Estée Lauder Revenue: USD 13.68 billion
- Estée Lauder Number of Employees: 46,000
Estée Lauder Brands
- Bobbi Brown
- DECIEM by Brandon Truaxe
- Estée Lauder
- La Mer
- Lab Series
- MAC Cosmetics
- Too Faced
- Tom Ford Beauty
- Bumble and Bumble
- By Kilian
- DKNY Fragrances
- Donna Karan Cosmetics
- Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
- Ermenegildo Zegna Perfumes
- Jo Malone London
- Lauder (Fragrances)
- Le Labo
- Michael Kors Beauty
- RODIN olio lusso
- The Ordinary by Brandon Truaxe
- Tommy Hilfiger Toiletries
- Tom Ford Beauty
- Tory Burch Beauty
Shiseido ranks 7th on this list of the top cosmetic manufacturers in the world ranked by revenue with revenues exceeding USD 9.9 billion last year. Shiseido is a Japanese multinational personal care company, that is skincare, haircare, cosmetics, and fragrance producer. Founded over 148 years ago, Shiseido is one of the oldest companies in the world and the 2nd largest cosmetic manufacturing company in Japan. The company is headquartered out of Tokyo and currently employs 38,640 people worldwide.
- Founded: 1872
- Shiseido Headquarters: Tokyo, Japan
- Shiseido Revenue: USD 9.9 billion
- Shiseido Number of Employees: 38,640
8. Coty, Inc.
Coty, Inc. is the 8th largest cosmetics manufacturers in the world by revenue at USD 9.4 billion generaqted last year. Coty Inc. is an American multinational beauty company founded in 1904 by François Coty. Coty specializes in cosmetics, fragrances, haircare, and skincare. The most popular Coty brands include Alexander McQueen, JOOP!, Dolce & Gabbana. The company is known for its 51% stock in Kylie Cosmetics, one of the largest and most popular cosmetic brands in the world owned by celebrity Kylie Jenner.
- Founded: 1904
- Coty, Inc. Headquarters: New York City, New York, USA
- Coty, Inc. Revenue: USD 9.4 billion
- Coty, Inc. Number of Employees: 20,000
Coty, Inc. Brands
- Kylie Cosmetics
- Max Factor
- Sally Hansen
Beiersdorf is 9th on this ranking of the top cosmetic manufacturers in the world by revenue in 2020 with revenues generated of USD 8.9 billion in 2019. Beiersdorf AG is a German multinational company that manufactures personal-care products and pressure-sensitive adhesives. Beiersdorf is notable for brands such as Elastoplast, Eucerin (makers of Aquaphor), Labello, La Prairie, Nivea, tesa, and Coppertone.
- Founded: 1882
- Beiersdorf Headquarters: Hamburg, Germany
- Beiersdorf Revenue: USD 8.9 billion
- Beiersdorf Number of Employees: 20,059
Beiersdorf Cosmetics Brands
- Eucerin (makers of Aquaphor)
- La Prairie
- tesa (tesa tape)
Rounding out BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest cosmetic manufacturers in the world by revenue in 2020 is Amorepacific Group, a South Korean beauty, and cosmetics conglomerate. The company operates over 30 beauty, personal care, and health brands including Sulwhasoo, Laneige, Mamonde, Etude, and Innisfree. Amorepacific brought in revenues of USD 5.5 billion last year — making it one of the top cosmetic manufacturers in the world last year.
- Founded: 1882
- Amorepacific Headquarters: Hamburg, Germany
- Amorepacific Revenue: USD 8.9 billion
- Amorepacific Number of Employees: 20,059
Amorepacific Cosmetics Brands
- Amos Professional
- Etude House
- Fresh Pop
- Goutal Paris
- Happy Bath
This is BizVibe’s list of the top cosmetic manufacturers in the world in 2020 ranked by revenue. As economies prosper all over the world, the demand for exceptional cosmetic products has increased. Brands are realizing that when tapped properly, the beauty sector can be a lucrative one and we are seeing pooled investment take off such as Coty purchasing the cosmetics giant Kylie Cosmetics last year. Check out and connect with these companies on BizVibe.
The Future of the Global Cosmetic Industry
The industry is already focused on the millennial demographic when targeting consumers. The top 10 largest cosmetic manufacturers in the world have shifted their strategies to meet the trends driven by the millennial market, such as creating most sustainable products, being more transparent about messaging and learning from keys segments all over the world on which products to develop and promote. Leading cosmetics brands are increasingly seeing heavy interest from the top cosmetic manufacturers in the world as well. Coty purchasing a 51% stake in Kylie Cosmetics will not be the first large business deal of this kind in the industry. Expect to see more high profile transactions in the future as the industry has become more entrepreneurial than ever before.