Data Analytics Industry Overview
Just how important is big data? Poor data quality costs the US economy up to USD 3.1 trillion yearly. This is why the top 10 big data analytics companies are innovating in a fast-accelerating industry to provide world-class analytics products and services in 2020. What does a data analytics company do? Analytics companies help scale up decision making in an organization, including making sense of and organizing unstructured data, sell analytics or data management products, collect and sell data, provide analytics services, and much more.
The top data analytics company in the world by revenue is IBM, generating USD 77.14 billion last year. The top 3 big data companies are then rounded out by Oracle, and SAP. The big data analytics market size is expected to reach USD 103 billion by 2023. This fact sheet is to breakdown who the top data analytics companies in the world are and provide insight on the biggest factors and trends driving growth in the market. This post will cover the following insights:
- Who are the top 10 big data analytics companies in the world in 2020?
- Who are the top data analytics companies by revenue?
- What is the big data analytics market size?
- Big data analytics stats and trends you should know in 2020.
BizVibe is already helping the top analytics firms in the world connect. Connect and track the latest news and insights from these companies.
Big Data Analytics Industry Stats and Trends
- IBM is the largest big data analytics company in the world by revenue in 2020, generating USD 77.14 billion in revenues.
- The big data analytics market is set to reach USD 103 billion by 2023.
- Poor data quality costs the US economy up to USD 3.1 trillion yearly.
- 95% of businesses cite the need to manage unstructured data as a problem for their business.
- 2% of organizations are investing in big data and AI.
- 45% of businesses worldwide are running at least one of their Big Data workloads in the cloud.
- 80-90% of the data we generate today is unstructured.
Top 10 Big Data Analytics Companies 2020
Which companies are leading the way for the top data analytics companies? This is BizVibe’s complete list of the top 10 big data analytics companies in 2020 based on their innovations and exception big data analytics products and services offered to the market.
Ranking number 1 on this list of the top 10 big data analytics companies in the world in 2020 is IBM, an American multinational technology company headquartered in Armonk, New York, with operations in over 170 countries. BM produces and sells computer hardware, middleware, and software, and provides hosting and consulting services in areas ranging from mainframe computers to nanotechnology. In terms of big data, IBM is one of the top analytics firms that provide analytical solutions to help companies make sense of their data. IBM’s big data analytics solutions aggregate structured, semi- and unstructured data from various touchpoints to gain a 360-degree view of your customer’s behavior and motivations for improved tailored marketing. IBM’s analytics solutions also detect and mitigate fraud, and drive supply chain efficiencies. Due to its consistent stream of solutions in big data and more IBM ranks number 1 on this list of top data analytics companies.
- Founded: 1911
- IBM Revenue: USD 77.14 billion
- IBM Headquarters: Armonk, New York, United States
- IBM Number of employees: 352,600
Ranking 2nd on this list of the top data analytics companies is Salesforce, an American cloud-based software company headquartered in San Francisco, California. Salesforce provides customer relationship management (CRM) service and also sells a complementary suite of enterprise applications focused on customer service, marketing automation, analytics, and application development. Salesforce CRM allows companies to log, manage, and analyze big data, customer information, and activity. Salesforce Analytics helps clients and customers find data-driven insights and take action, right within Salesforce. Salesforce also provides tools that help companies deploy analytics fast by using customizable templates, third-party apps, or custom-built dashboards.
- Founded: 1999
- Salesforce Revenue: USD 17.1 billion
- Salesforce Headquarters: San Francisco, California, United States
- Salesforce Number of employees: 49,000
Oracle ranks 3rd on this list of the top 10 big data analytics companies in 2020. Oracle is an American multinational computer technology corporation headquartered in Redwood Shores, California. Oracle is the 2nd largest software company in the world by revenue and market cap. Oracle sells database software and technology, cloud engineered systems, and enterprise software products—particularly its brands of database management systems. In the big data segment, Oracle delivers data management platforms that absorb and deliver data of any size and shape for most applications —analytics or algorithm — across any type of environment: public cloud, local cloud, or on-premise.
- Founded: 1977
- Oracle Revenue: USD 39.50 billion
- Oracle Headquarters: Redwood City, California, United States
- Oracle Number of employees: 135,000
Oracle Products and Services
- Oracle Applications
- Oracle Database
- Oracle Cloud
- Enterprise Manager
- Fusion Middleware
Ranking 4th on this list of the top big data analytics companies is SAP, a German multinational software corporation that makes enterprise software to manage business operations and customer relations. SAP is known for its ERP software and last year generated revenues of USD 32.5 billion — making SAP one of the top data analytics companies in the world by revenue. SAP helps its clients diversify their data landscape – across data warehouses, data lakes, and databases – with Big Data cloud solutions. SAP also provides its Cloud Platform Big Data Services as an installed, configured, ready-to-use Hadoop® cloud. This service includes a machine called the Workbench, which is essentially a Linux machine running CentOS that acts as a gateway providing access to the data and services in the actual Hadoop cluster.
- Founded: 1972
- SAP Revenue: USD 32.5 billion
- SAP Headquarters: Walldorf, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
- SAP Number of employees: 100,330
SAP Products and Services
- SAP S/4HANA
- SAP CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- SAP ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
- SAP PLM (Product Lifecycle Management)
- SAP SCM (Supply Chain Management)
- SAP SRM (Supplier Relationship Management)
Ranking 5th on this list of data analytics companies is VMware, an American publicly traded software company listed on the NYSE under stock ticker VMW. Dell Technologies is a majority shareholder. VMware provides cloud computing and virtualization software and services. VMWare big data provides services that let clients manage operations and maintenance of their big data infrastructure. The purpose of these solutions to help decrease CapEx cost through cluster consolidation and decrease OpEx through automation and simple workflows. All of this provided in an agile environment for many industries including education, finance, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail.
- Founded: 1998
- VMware Revenue: USD 8.97 billion
- VMware Headquarters: Palo Alto, California, United States
- VMware Number of employees: 24,200
VMware Products and Services
- VMware vSphere
- VMware ESXi
- VMware Fusion
- VMware Player
- VMware ThinApp
- VMware View
- VMware Infrastructure
Ranking 6th on this list of the top 10 big data analytics companies is Alteryx, an American computer software company based in Irvine, California. Alteryx products are used for data science and analytics, to make advanced analytics accessible to any data worker. Alteryx analytics platform includes Alteryx Connect, Alteryx Designer, Alteryx Promote, Alteryx Server, Analytics Hub, and Alteryx Intelligence Suite. Alteryx also hosts a cloud-based website known as the Alteryx Analytics Gallery. Last year, Alteryx generated USD 418 million in revenue — making it one of the best data analytics companies in the world.
- Founded: 1997
- Alteryx Revenue: USD
- Alteryx Headquarters: Irvine, California, United States
- Alteryx Number of employees: 1,291
Alteryx Products and Services
- Alteryx Connect
- Alteryx Designer
- Alteryx Promote
- Alteryx Server
- Analytics Hub
- Alteryx Intelligence Suite
- Alteryx Analytics Gallery
Ranking 7th on our list of the top 10 big data analytics companies is Tableau Software, an interactive data visualization software company. Tableau products query relational databases, online analytical processing cubes, cloud databases, and spreadsheets to generate graph-type data visualizations. The products can also extract, store, and retrieve data from an in-memory data engine. Tableau Software generated revenues of USD 1.2 billion last year — making it one of the top data analytics companies in the world in 2020.
- Founded: 2003
- Tableau Software Revenue: USD 1.2 billion
- Tableau Software Headquarters: Seattle, Washington, United States
- Tableau Software Number of employees: 4,181
Tableau Software Products and Services
- Tableau Desktop (Both professional and personal editions)
- Tableau Server
- Tableau Online
- Tableau Prep Builder[1
- Tableau Vizable (Consumer data visualization mobile app)
- Tableau Public (free to use)
- Tableau Reader (free to use)
- Tableau Mobile
Cloudera ranks 8th on this list of the top data analytics companies. Cloudera is a US-based software company that provides a software platform for data engineering, data warehousing, machine learning, and analytics that runs in the cloud. Cloudera provides a cloud platform for analytics and machine learning built by people from leading companies like Yahoo!, Facebook, Google, and Oracle. Cloudera states that more than 50% of its engineering output is donated upstream to the various Apache-licensed open source projects (Apache Spark, Apache Hive, Apache Avro, Apache HBase, and so on) that combine to form the Apache Hadoop platform. Cloudera is also a sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation. Cloudera’s key products include Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub, Cloudera Analytic DB, Cloudera Operational DB, and more.
- Founded: 2008
- Cloudera Revenue: USD 794 million
- Cloudera Headquarters: Palo Alto, California, United States
- Cloudera Number of employees: 3,000
Cloudera Products and Services
- Cloudera Products: Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub, Cloudera Analytic DB, Cloudera Operational DB, Cloudera Data Science, and Data Engineering, Cloudera Fast Forward Labs, Cloudera Essentials, and Cloudera Altus. Components include Cloudera Manager, Cloudera Navigator, Cloudera Data Science Workbench, Cloudera Navigator Optimizer, Cloudera Altus, Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache Impala, Apache Kudu, Apache Sentry, Apache Spot.
- Cloudera Services: Apache Hadoop distribution with support, professional services and training.
Informatica ranks 9th on this list of the top 10 big data analytics companies in the world in 2020. Informatica is a software development company founded in 1993. It is headquartered in Redwood City, California. Informatica’s core products include Enterprise Cloud Data Management and Data Integration. Informatica helps its clients leverage the flexibility of the managed Hadoop framework in Microsoft Azure HDInsight to easily find, prepare, and govern big data to quickly drive business value. Last year Informatica generated USD 1.05 billion — making it one of the top analytics firms in the world.
- Founded: 1993
- Informatica Revenue: USD 1.05 billion
- Informatica Headquarters: Redwood City, California, United States
- Informatica Number of employees: 4,800+
Informatica Products and Services
- Data Integration
- Data Quality
- Master Data Management
- Information Lifecycle Management
Rounding out BizVibe’s list of the top 10 best big data analytics companies is Qlik, a leading software company that provides an end-to-end platform that includes data integration, user-driven business intelligence, and conversational analytics. Qlik’s Associative Engine lets users do big data analytics, combining several data sources so that associations and connections can be formed across the data. Last year Qlik generated USD 750 million in revenues, making it one of the largest big data companies by revenue in the world in 2020.
- Founded: 1993
- Qlik Revenue: USD 750 million
- Qlik Headquarters: King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Qlik Number of employees: 2,500
Qlik Products and Services
- QlikView, Qlik Sense, Expressor, NPrinting
This is BizVibe’s list of the top 10 big data analytics companies in the world in 2020 ranked by revenue and the work they are doing pushing the promising big data industry forward.
Top Data Analytics Companies by Revenue
Here is a complete list of the top 10 big data analytics companies ranked by revenue.
Revenue (USD billions)
|1||IBM||77.14||New York, United States|
|2||Oracle||39.5||California, United States|
|4||Salesforce||17.1||California, United States|
|5||VMware||8.97||California, United States|
|6||Tableau||1.2||Washington, United States|
|7||Informatica||1.05||California, United States|
|8||Cloudera||0.79||California, United States|
|9||Qlik||0.75||Pennsylvania, United Sates|
|10||Alteryx||0.41||California, United States|
- IBM is the largest big data analytics company in the world by revenue in 2020, generating USD 77.14 billion in revenues.
- Oracle brought in USD 39.5 billion in revenues last year in the data and analytics segment.
- 7 of the top data analytics companies in the world by revenue are US-based companies.
The Future of the Big Data Analytics Industry
The cost of keeping unstructured data is estimated in the trillions. It’s no wonder the market is in such high demand. Expect the top 10 big data analytics companies to continue innovating with helpful products, tools, and services that will cut costs and makes processes simpler and more efficient for everyone.