Global Beer Market Outlook
The top 10 largest beer companies in the world are leading the way for a growing global beer market in 2020. Driven the biggest beer companies, the global beer market size was valued at USD 522,299 million in 2020 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 9.4% by 2023. The biggest factor driving growth is due to increasing economic prosperity worldwide and the large percentage of disposable income increasing for everyday people. The most popular beer type in the world is lagers. AB InBev is the biggest company in the world in 2020, generating over USD 52.33 billion.
This post is to help you understand and breakdown the 10 largest beer companies in the world by revenue and explain the landscape of the global beer market in 2020. The factsheet will answer questions about the value of the beer market and its leading players including:
- Who is the biggest beer company in the world?
- What is the biggest brewery in the world?
- What’s the ownership structure like for the top beer companies?
- What the global beer market size?
- How big is the beer industry?
- Global beer market trends and stats you should know.
BizVibe is already helping the biggest beer brewers in the world connect. Connect and track the latest news and insights from these companies.
Global Beer Market Trends and Stats
- The U.S. beer industry sells more than $119.3 billion in beer and malt-based beverages to U.S. consumers each year.
- The global beer market size was valued at USD 522,299 million in 2020 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 9.4% by 2023.
- Craft beer sales increased 6%, up to $29.3 billion, now accounting for more than 25% of the $119 billion U.S. beer market.
- 44 percent of the U.S. beer consumption was attributable to light beer.
- Bud Light makes up about 18.4 percent of the market share among domestic beer brands.
- Last year, beer sold in cans accounted for 60% of all beer sold, glass bottles accounted for 30% and draft beer, and keg beers were around 10%.
- More than 95 percent of all breweries make fewer than 15,000 barrels (465,000 gallons) per year.
Top 10 Largest Beer Companies in the World by Revenue 2020
Who are the top 10 largest beer companies in the world in 2020? The following is a list of biggest beer companies ranked by revenue in USD billions.
1. AB InBev
Who is the biggest beer company in the world? By revenue and growth, AB InBev is the largest beer company in the world with last year’s revenues reaching USD 52.33 billion. AB InBev is a multinational drink and brewing company based in Leuven, Belgium. With a vast portfolio of 400+ global beer brands including Budweiser, Corona, Stella Artois, and Beck’s, AB InBev is also the biggest brewery in the world.
Along with four other major beer companies that we will cover in this post, AB InBev controls more close to 50% of the global beer market as of 2020 — the primary reason, the company ranks number 1 on BizVibe’s list of the largest beer companies in the world in 2020.
- Founded: 2008
- AB InBev Headquarters: Leuven, Belgium
- AB InBev Revenue: USD 52.33 billion
- AB InBev Number of Employees: 170,000
AB InBev Brands
- Stella Artois
- Platform Beer Company
AB InBev Subsidiaries
- Grupo Modelo
Heineken N.V. ranks 2nd on this list of the top 10 largest beer companies in the world with last year’s revenues reaching USD 23.7 billion. Heineken is a Dutch brewing company headquartered in Amsterdam, Netherlands, and was founded in 1864. Heineken is the largest brewery in Europe and since the merger between beer titans Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller back in 2016, Heineken has become the second-biggest beer company in the world. Heineken N.V. is primarily known for its two most popular brands Heineken and Amstel. Heineken is also one of the leading beer producers in the world, with annual beer production of 188.3 million hectoliters last year.
- Founded: 1864
- Heineken N.V. Headquarters: Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Heineken N.V. Revenue: USD 23.7 billion
- Heineken N.V. Number of Employees: 76,136
- Zlatý Bažant
- Birra Moretti
Asahi Breweries is the largest beer producer in Japan and 3rd on this list of the 10 largest beer companies in the world ranked by revenue in 2020. Asahi Breweries is a global beer, spirits, soft drinks, and food business group headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. Under its beer segment, the company is known for its flagship beer brand Asahi “Super Dry”. In the past, its flagship beer used to be Asahi Gold.
Accounting for 37% market share if the Japanese beer market, Asahi is the largest brewery in Japan, followed by Kirin (34%) and Suntory (16%).
- Founded: 1889
- Asahi Breweries Headquarters: Sumida, Tokyo, Japan
- Asahi Breweries Revenue: USD 19.95 billion
Asahi Breweries Beer Brands
- Asahi “Super Dry”
- Asahi Draft – Lager
- Asahi Gold – Lager (former flagship product)
- Asahi Stout
- Asahi Z – Dry lager
- Asahi Black – a 5% abv dark lager
- Asahi Prime Time – German Pilsener style lager (only available in Japan)
Diageo is a UK-based multinational alcoholic beverages company, with headquarters in London, England and offices in six continents. In previous years, Diageo used to be the world’s biggest distiller and ranks 4th on this list of the top 10 biggest companies brands in the world. In 2019, the company brought in annual revenues of USD 15.91 billion. The company is known for many of its major beer brands including Guinness, Rockshore, Harp Lager.
- Founded: 1997
- Diageo Headquarters: London, England, UK
- Diageo Corporation Revenue: USD 15.91 billion
- Diageo Number of Employees: 28,420
Diageo Beer Brands
- Harp Lager
- Hop House 13
Beijing Yanjing Brewery is the 5th largest beer company in the world by revenue — generating USD 10.35 billion last year. Last year the company produced 57.1 million hectoliters of beer — making Yanjing one of the world’s largest beer producers in terms of beer production output. Yanjing is a state-owned enterprise and initially created to serve beers in the Great Hall of the People. Due to its localization and state-owned status, the company is slightly lesser-known to the general public compare to Tsingtao.
- Founded: 1980
- Beijing Yanjing Brewery Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Beijing Yanjing Brewery Revenue: USD 10.35 billion
- Beijing Yanjing Brewery Number of Employees: 42,239
Beijing Yanjing Brewery Beer Brands
- Yanjing Pale Lager
The Carlsberg Group due to the production of its flagship Carlsberg beer has become one of the top 10 largest beer companies in the world. By revenue, Carlsberg Group ranks 6th on this list of the biggest beer companies, generating USD 9.48 billion last year. The company’s other major beer brands include Tuborg, Kronenbourg, Somersby cider, Russia’s best-selling beer Baltika, and Belgian Grimbergen abbey beers.
The company currently employs over 41,000 people and is known for aggressive and strong advertising. Carlberg’s slogan “Probably the best lager in the world”, has become defining for the brand and its market position in the minds of consumers. Due to strong revenue and aggressive marketing tactics, Carlsberg Group maintains a leading position among the top beer companies in the world.
- Founded: 1847
- Carlsberg Group Headquarters: Copenhagen, Denmark
- Carlsberg Group Revenue: USD 9.48 billion
- Carlsberg Group Number of Employees: 41,000
Carlsberg Group Beer Brands
- Carlsberg – flagship beer brand
- Tuborg (International)
- Somersby ciders (International)
- Kronenbourg / 1664 (International)
- Grimbergen (International)
- Holsten (International)
- Baltika (Russia)
- Bosman (Poland)
- Dali Beer (China)
- Feldschlösschen (Switzerland)
- Gorkha Beer (Nepal)
- Jacobsen (Nordic countries)
- Lav (Serbia)
- Beerlao (Laos)
- Lvivske (Ukraine)
- Mythos (Greece)
- FIX Hellas (Greece)
- Pan (Croatia)
- Pirinsko (Bulgaria)
- Ringnes (Norway)
- Saku (Estonia)
- Sarbast (Uzbekistan)
- Semper Ardens (Denmark)
- Shumensko (Bulgaria)
- Slavutych (Ukraine)
- Super Bock (Portugal)
- Švyturys (Lithuania)
- Wusu (China)
- Wiibroe (Denmark)
7. Grupo Modelo
Grupo Modelo is a large brewery in Mexico that exports beer to most countries on a global scale and ranks 7th on BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest beer companies in the world by revenue in 2020. Its primary beers are mainly targeting the domestic beer market. The company is owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev — the largest brewery in the world. Grupo Modelo’s flagship product is Corona.
- Founded: 1922
- Grupo Modelo Headquarters: Mexico City, Mexico
- Grupo Modelo Revenue: USD 7.1 billion
- Grupo Modelo Number of Employees: 40,617
Grupo Modelo Products
- Modelo Negra
- Modelo Especial
- Modelo Light
- Estrella Jalisco
Kirin Company is 8th on this list of the largest beer companies in the world in 2020. Kirin Company is an integrated beverage company and operates as a subsidiary of Kirin Holdings Company, Limited. Owning a 34% of the Japanese beer market, Kirin is Japan’s 2nd largest beer company followed by Asahi. Kiran’s flagship product is Kirin Ichiban; the beer is even distributed widely to many international markets.
- Founded: 1885
- Kirin Headquarters: Nakano-ku, Tokyo, Japan
- Kirin Revenue: USD 6.08 billion
- Kirin Number of Employees: 30,464
Ranking 9th on this list of the largest beer brands is The Molson Coors Beverage Company, a multinational brewing company, formed by the merger of Molson and Coors. Control of the company is equally shared between the two companies. One of the biggest beer brands in the world — generating revenues of USD 4.8 billion last year — The Molson Coors Company is known for flagship beer brands such as Molson Canadian and Coors Light. Despite AB InBev owning SABMiller; after the merger, Molson Coors remains producing and selling the Miller brand of beers.
- Founded: 2005
- Molson Coors Brewing Headquarters: Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Molson Coors Brewing Revenue: USD 4.8 billion
- Molson Coors Brewing Number of Employees: 17,200
Molson Coors Brewing Brands
- Coors Light
- Coors Banquet
- Molson Canadian
- Blue Moon Belgian White
10. CR Snow
Rounding out BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest beer companies in the world is China Resources Snow Breweries, a brewing company with its headquarters in Beijing, China, and the largest brewery in China. CR Snow owns 21 of the market share of the beer market in China and is known for popular brands such as Snow.
- Founded: 1993
- CR Snow Headquarters: Dongcheng, Beijing, China
- CR Snow Revenue: USD 4.72 billion
- Blue Sword
- Green Leaves
- Huadan Yate
- Largo, Löwen
- New Three Star
- Zero Clock
This is BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest beer companies in the world in 2020, ranked by revenue and popularity. The rise of beer consumption increased as economies prosper and more disposable income is available. The biggest beer companies are innovating with popular beer products and helping the market expand even more in 2020 and beyond.
Largest Beer Companies in the World by Revenue 2020
The following is the complete list of the largest beer companies in the world by revenue in USD billions as of 2020. This is how AB InBev, Heineken, Asahi, and other biggest beer companies stack up to each other.
Revenue (USD billions)
|1||AB InBev||USD 52.33 billion||Belgium|
|2||Heineken N.V.||USD 23.7 billion||Netherlands|
|3||Asahi Breweries||USD 19.95 billion||Japan|
|4||Diageo||USD 15.91 billion||UK|
|5||Beijing Yanjing Brewery||USD 10.35 billion||China|
|6||Carlsberg Group||USD 9.48 billion||Denmark|
|7||Grupo Modelo||USD 7.1 billion||Mexico|
|8||Kirin Company||USD 6.08 billion||Japan|
|9||Molson Coors Brewing||USD 4.8 billion||USA|
|10||CR Snow||USD 4.72 billion||China|
|11||Tsingtao Brewery Group||USD 4.09 billion||China|
|12||Dogfish Head Craft Brewery Inc.||USD 1 billion||USA|
The Future of the Global Beer Market?
Resulting from the merger with SABMiller, AB InBev is expected to maintain its position as the largest brewery in the world in the future. Despite some slowdown, the global beer market is projected to keep growing as the youth population eclipses 1.3 billion worldwide in a few years. The younger demographic will drive the over 9% CAGR growth in the global beer market in a few years and the top 10 largest beer brands are positioning their products for the market. Light beer is more popular than ever as they are healthier and focused on a more health-conscious young demographic. Expect the biggest beer brands to continue showing stellar revenue growth in 2020 and beyond.