What is the Current State of the Logistics Industry Market?
The top 10 largest logistics companies in the world are contributing to a fast-growing global logistics industry in 2020. What exactly is logistics and just how big is the logistics industry? In simplest terms, logistics is the detailed coordination of a complex operation involving many people, facilities, or supplies. So how big is the industry? There are many estimates as logistics encompasses a large area of processes, but the best estimates have the size of the industry at $8 trillion to $12 trillion annually.
This fact sheet is to assist business professionals, investors, and people in general that are interested in gaining insights into the global logistics industry including:
- Discover who are the top 10 logistics companies in the world in 2020?
- How big is the logistics industry?
- how much is the trucking industry worth?
- what’s new in logistics?
BizVibe is already helping the best logistics companies in the world connect. Connect and track the latest news and insights from these companies.
Logistics Industry Statistics
- In the USA, 10% of GDP is attributed to the logistics industry in any given year.
- The U.S. logistics market is closing in on the $2 trillion levels.
- Globally, the logistics industry represents approximately 12% of the entire world’s GDP.
- In 2018, trucks moved 11.49 billion tons of freight, 71.4% of the USA’s tonnage freight.
- Revenues in the trucking industry accounted for 80.3% of the USA’s freight bill.
- In 2017, the American trucking industry posted revenues higher than the GDP of more than 150 nations.
Top 10 Largest Logistics Companies in the World in 2020
who are the top 10 logistics companies in the world in 2020? The following is a list of the largest logistics companies ranked by a combination of revenue and brand value.
Revenue (USD billions)
|2||Deutsche Post||67.11 billion|
|4||CSX Transportation||38.2 billion|
|5||XPO Logistics||16.65 billion|
|6||C.H. Robinson||16.63 billion|
|7||Canadian National Railway||10.7 billion|
|8||Expeditors International||8.1 billion|
|9||Ryder Supply Chain Solutions||7.33 billion|
|10||J.B. Hunt||7.19 billion|
Number 1 on the list of the top 10 largest logistics companies in the world in 2020 is the ever-popular US-based multinational package delivery and supply chain management company UPS. UPS is one of the largest logistics companies in the world, that was initially founded in Seattle, Washington as The American Messenger Company over 112 years ago.
In 2018, UPS brought in revenues of USD 71.86 billion and currently employs over 481,000 people worldwide. UPS’s subsidiaries include Nightline Group Marken, UPS Logistics, UPS Mail Innovations, UPS Professional Solutions, and UPS i-parcel.
- Founded: 1907
- UPS Headquarters: Sandy Springs, Georgia, U.S.
- UPS Total Asset Value: USD 50.02 billion
- UPS Revenue: USD 71.86 billion
- UPS Number of Employees: 481,000
- Courier express services
- Freight forwarding services
- Logistics services
Ranking number 2 on the list of the top logistics companies worldwide is FedEx Corporation, the American multinational delivery services company headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee. FedEx became popular for its overnight shipping and was one of the first companies to allow the tracking of packages. Founded in 1971, FedEx is currently one of the top contractors for the US government making it a pioneer among the top 10 largest logistics companies in the world.
FedEx’s revenue in 2018 was USD 65.450 billion.
- Founded: 1971
- FedEx Headquarters: Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.
- FedEx Total Asset Value: USD 52.33 billion
- FedEx Revenue: USD 65.45 billion
- FedEx Number of Employees: 425,000
FedEx Products & Services
- Post delivery
- Express mail
- Freight forwarding
- Third-party logistics services
- Supply Chain
- Custom Critical
- Trade Networks
- FedEx Logistics
Deutsche Post is a German multinational package delivery and supply chain management company headquartered in Bonn, Germany. The company also operates the American courier division of DHL and is one of the largest logistics companies in the world. Founded 25 years ago and currently headquartered in Post Tower, Bonn, Germany, the company brings in annual revenues of USD 67.11 billion.
- Founded: 1995
- Deutsche Post Headquarters: Post Tower, Bonn, Germany
- Deutsche Post Asset Value: USD 55.03 billion
- Deutsche Post Revenue: USD 67.11 billion
- Deutsche Post Employees: 547,459
Deutsche Post Services
- Letter post
- Parcel service
- Freight forwarding
- 3PL logistics provider
C.H. Robinson is an American Fortune 500 provider of multimodal transportation services and third-party logistics (3PL). Founded in 1905, C.H. Robinson offers freight transportation, transportation management, brokerage, and warehousing. The company is headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, U.S. and brought in revenues of USD 16.63 billion in 2018.
- Founded: 1905
- H. Robinson Headquarters: Eden Prairie, Minnesota, U.S.
- H. Robinson Asset Value: USD 4.43 billion
- H. Robinson Revenue: USD 16.63 billion
- H. Robinson Employees: 15,262
C.H. Robinson Post Services
- Third-party logistics
- Intermodal rail
- Global forwarding
- Supply Chain Consulting
XPO Logistics — one of the top logistics companies worldwide — is an American transportation and logistics company that operates its services in over 30 countries. The company is popular due to providing its services to over 69 of the top Fortune 100 companies and has over 50,000 customers worldwide. XPO Logistics was founded in 1989 and its current headquarters are in Greenwich, Connecticut. In 2018 XPO Logistics brought in revenues of USD 16.65 billion — making it one of the biggest logistics companies in the world in both revenues, operations and brand value.
- Founded: 1989
- XPO Logistics Headquarters: Greenwich, Connecticut, United States
- XPO Logistics Asset Value: USD 14.13 billion
- XPO Logistics Revenue: USD 16.65 billion
- XPO Logistics Employees: 100,000
XPO Logistics Services
- Freight brokerage
- Contract logistics
- Global forwarding
6. J.B. Hunt
Ranking 6th on BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest logistics companies in the world is the American transportation and logistics company, J.B. Hunt. J.B. Hunt was founded in 1961 and operates its current headquarters in Lowell, Arkansas, USA. The company currently employs over 27,000 and operates more than 12,000 trucks. The company’s fleet consists of over 100,000 trailers and containers.
- Founded: 1961
- B. Hunt Headquarters: Lowell, Arkansas, U.S.
- B. Hunt Asset Value: USD 4.47 billion
- B. Hunt Revenue: USD 7.19 billion
- B. Hunt Employees: 27,621
Ryder Supply Chain Solutions is 7th on BizVibe’s list of the top 10 logistics companies in the world. Ryder Supply Chain Solutions is a part of Ryder System, Inc., an American provider of transportation and supply chain management products, and is especially known for its fleet of rental trucks. The company operates in North America, South America, Europe, the United Kingdom, and Asia, and brought in annual revenues of USD 7.33 billion last year.
- Founded: 1933
- Ryder Headquarters: Miami, Florida, U.S.
- Ryder Asset Value: USD 11.45 billion
- Ryder Revenue: USD 7.33 billion
- Ryder Employees: 36,100
- Fleet management
- Supply chain management
- Dedicated carrier
- Cargo truck rental
Expeditors International — one of the top logistics companies in the world — is an American worldwide logistics and freight forwarding company headquartered in Seattle, Washington. The company brought in annual revenues of USD 8.1 billion last year and remains one of the largest logistics companies in the world with a unique compensation structure — making Expeditors International also one of the best logistics companies to work for.
- Founded: 1979
- Expeditors International Headquarters: Seattle, Washington, US
- Expeditors International Asset Value: USD 8.1 billion
- Expeditors International Revenue: USD 3.3 billion
- Expeditors International Employees: 17,400
The first Canadian-based company on the list of the top 10 largest logistics companies in 2020 is the Canadian National Railway. Founded over 100 years ago in 1919, CN is a Canadian Class I freight railway headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, that serves Canada and the Midwestern and Southern United States. CN is also Canada’s largest railway and last year brought in annual revenues of USD 10.7 billion USD.
- Founded: 1919
- CN Headquarters: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- CN Revenue: USD 10.7 billion
- CN Employees: 24,000
Rounding out BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest logistics companies in the world is the Class I freight railroad operating in the eastern United States and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec, CSX Transportation. The company was founded in 1980 and brought in annual revenues of USD 11.93 billion last year.
- Founded: 1980
- CSX Transportation Headquarters: Jacksonville, Florida, U.S.
- CSX Transportation Asset Value: USD 38.2 billion
- CSX Transportation Revenue: USD 11.93 billion
- CSX Transportation Employees: 20,908
CSX Transportation Subsidiaries
- CSX Transportation
- Fruit Growers Express
- Seaboard Coast Line
This is BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest logistics companies in the world in 2020 based on revenue and brand value. These companies are changing the way businesses are innovating in the logistics industry.
Top 40 Logistics Companies Ranked by Revenue
Here are 40 more of the largest logistics companies in the world to watch for, ranked by revenue.
Gross Revenue (US$ Millions)
|1||Kuehne + Nagel||25,320|
|10||Hitachi Transport System||6,283|
|17||Kintetsu World Express||5,310|
|19||Yusen Logistics/NYK Logistics||4,715|
|24||Hellmann Worldwide Logistics||3,646|
|25||Total Quality Logistics||3,643|
|28||Schneider Logistics & Dedicated||2,711|
|31||Echo Global Logistics||2,440|
|39||ID Logistics Group||1,651|
The Future of the Logistics Industry
What’s new in the logistics industry? One of the most prominent logistics trends gaining traction in the global blockchain technology market in the logistics industry as it can increase the efficiency and transparency of supply chains. Looking past 2020, the future of the global logistics industry looks promising as its being led by the top 10 largest logistics companies in the world that are expected to get fully behind a changing global landscape for logistics and transportation.