Global Cement Industry Outlook 2020
The top 10 cement companies in the world continue to lead the way as global cement production is growing at exponential rates. Some companies such as China National Building Materials (CNBM) have increased their cement production capacity 11 times over previous figures due to an expected increase in future market demand. Currently, global cement consumption volume is expected to reach 4.42 billion tonnes in 2021, growing at a CAGR of 2.96% by 2021. The largest factors driving growth in the global cement industry are due to increased market demand for construction activities and rising urbanization.
This post is to help readers understand who are the world’s largest cement companies? This article breaks down the top 10 cement companies in the world by annual cement production, potential cement production capacity, and revenue figures of the biggest cement companies. We will also breakdown the top countries by cement production. Expect to have the following questions answered:
- Who is the world’s largest cement manufacturer?
- A complete breakdown of the top 10 cement companies in the world
- Global cement industry outlook in 2020
- Which companies are increasing cement production?
- Global cement industry trends and stats you should know.
BizVibe is already helping the biggest cement companies in the world connect. Connect and track the latest news and insights from these companies.
Global Cement Industry Trends and Stats
- Global cement consumption volume is expected to reach 4.42 billion tonnes in 2021.
- CNBM has a cement production capacity of 406 million tonnes a year — the highest number in the world and 11 times higher than previous figures.
- Over ten billion tons of concrete are produced each year
- China leads all countries in cement production and 2500 million tonnes.
- Production of cement clinker reached about 78 million metric tons in 2019 in the USA.
Top 10 Largest Cement Companies in the World 2020
Who are the top 10 cement companies in the world in 2020? The following is a list of the world’s largest cement companies ranked by cement production in million tonnes.
Annual Cement Production (Mt/yr)
Cement Production Capacity (Mt/yr)
|2||Anhui Conch Cement||217.2||288.0||China|
|7||China Resources Cement||71.02||78.3||China|
Who is the world’s largest manufacturer? Swiss multinational company LafargeHolcim is the world’s largest cement manufacturer in the world with a cement production capacity of across 180 cement production plants. LafargeHolcim as founded in 2015 by the merger of cement companies Lafarge and Holcim. LafargeHolcim has a presence in over 70 countries and currently employs 72,452 across its multiple operations. The company’s primary focus on cement, aggregates, ready mix and solutions.
Post-merger, LafargeHolcim brought in annual revenues of USD 27.76 billion. LafargeHolcim is currently headquartered in Jona, Switzerland, and ranks number 1 on this list of the top 10 cement companies in the world ranked by cement production and revenue.
- Founded: 2015
- LafargeHolcim Headquarters: Jona, Switzerland
- LafargeHolcim Revenue: USD 27.76 billion
- LafargeHolcim Annual Cement Production: 286.66 Mt/yr
- LafargeHolcim Cement Production Capacity: 386.5 Mt/yr
- LafargeHolcim Number of Employees: 72,452
- Building materials
Anhui Conch Cement is the world’s 2nd largest cement manufacturer in the world with a cement production capacity of 288 million tonnes across 32 of its plants. Anhui Conch Cement is the largest cement company in china and was founded in 1997 with headquarters currently in Wuhu, Anhui, China. The company is primarily owned by Conch Holding and last year produced 217.20 million tonnes of cement — the 2nd highest cement produced behind only LafargeHolcim.
- Founded: 1997
- Anhui Conch Cement Headquarters: Wuhu, Anhui, China
- Anhui Conch Cement Annual Cement Production: 217.2 Mt/yr
- Anhui Conch Cement Cement Production Capacity: 288 Mt/yr
It is said that across its 94 plants, China National Building Material also has a cement production capacity of 406 million tonnes a year — which would make it the largest cement manufacturer in the world based on production capacity. Still, the company ranked 3rd last year behind LafargeHolcim and Anhui Conch Cement in actual cement produced at 176.22 million tonnes.
CNBM is a public traded company, engaging in cement, lightweight building materials, glass fiber, and fiber-reinforced plastic products and engineering service businesses. In addition to ranking 3rd on this list of the top 10 cement companies in the world, CNBM is also the largest producer of fiberglass in Asia.
- Founded: 1984
- CNBM Headquarters: Beijing, China
- CNBM Cement Production Capacity: 406 Mt/yr
- CNBM Annual Cement Production: 176.22 Mt/yr
HeidelbergCement is the world’s 4th largest cement manufacturer in the world producing 121.11 million tonnes of cement last year across its 79 plants. HeidelbergCement is the largest cement company in Germany and the company currently employs 55,047 throughout its operations. The company is primarily known for manufacturing cement, aggregates, concrete, asphalt, and ranks 4th on this list of the top 10 cement companies in the world based on its cement production output, in addition to potential cement production capacity and annual revenues.
- Founded: 1874
- Heidelberg Cement Headquarters: Heidelberg, Germany
- Heidelberg Cement Revenue: 20.38
- Heidelberg Cement Annual Cement Production: 121.11 Mt/yr
- Heidelberg Cement Cement Production Capacity: 129 Mt/yr
Heidelberg Cement Products
Cemex ranks 5th on the list of the top 10 cement companies in the world producing 87.09 million tonnes of cement last year, with an estimated cement production capacity of 93 million tonnes across its 56 cement production plants. Cemex is a Mexican multinational building materials company headquartered in San Pedro, near Monterrey, Mexico. The company is primarily known for manufacturing, producing, and distributing cement, ready-mix concrete and aggregates in more than 50 countries.
- Founded: 1906
- Cemex Headquarters: Monterrey, Mexico
- Cemex Revenue: USD 18 billion
- Cemex Annual Cement Production: 87.09 Mt/yr
- Cemex Cement Production Capacity: 93 Mt/yr
- Ready-mix concrete
- Construction aggregates
Italcementi is an Italian multinational company, headquartered in Bergamo, Italy, and is the world’s 6th largest cement manufacturer on this list, producing 76.62 million tonnes of cement last year. The company claims to have a cement production capacity of over 77 million tonnes across 60 cement plants.
Italcementi is primarily known for manufacturing and producing cement, aggregates, ready-made concrete, and asphalt. The company is also known as one of the top concrete companies in the world.
- Founded: 1864
- Italcementi Headquarters: Bergamo, Italy
- Italcementi Annual Cement Production: 76.62 Mt/yr
- Italcementi Cement Production Capacity: 77 Mt/yr
- Construction aggregate
- Ready-mix concrete
China Resources Cement is a leading cement manufacturer in Southern China. The company produced 71.02 million tonnes of cement last year and has an annual cement production capacity of 78.3 million tonnes across its 24 cement plants. By sales volume, China Resources Cement was the 2nd largest producer of cement last year in China.
- Founded: 2003
- China Resources Cement Headquarters: Hong Kong, China
- China Resources Cement Annual Cement Production: 71.02 Mt/yr
- China Resources Cement Production Capacity: 78.3 Mt/yr
China Resources Cement Products
Taiwan Cement is 8th on this list of the top 10 cement companies in the world. Taiwan Cement is a cement company headquartered in Taiwan. The company has an annual cement production capacity of 69 million tonnes from its six plants. Last year the company produced 63.72 million tonnes of cement — making Taiwan Cement the world’s 8th largest cement manufacturer in the world.
- Founded: 1946
- Taiwan Cement Headquarters: Taipei, Taiwan
- Taiwan Annual Cement Production: 63.72 Mt/yr
- Taiwan Cement Cement Production Capacity: 69 Mt/yr
Eurocement is the biggest supplier of cement, ready-mix concrete, and aggregates in Russia. Last year Eurocement produced 45.18 million tonnes of cement — garnering the company 9th place on this list of the top 10 largest cement companies in the world in 2020. Eurocement has a cement production capacity of 50 million tonnes with over 18 cement plants.
- Founded: 2002
- Eurocement Headquarters: Moscow, Russia
- Eurocement Annual Cement Production: 45.18 Mt/yr
- Eurocement Cement Production Capacity: 50 Mt/yr
- Eurocement Number of Employees: 20,000
- Construction aggregate
- Construction materials
10. Votorantim Group
Rounding out BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest cement companies in the world is Votorantim Group, one of the largest industrial conglomerates in Latin America and the largest cement company in Brazil. Last year, the company produced 45.02 million tonnes of cement across its 41 cement plants. The company also claims to have a cement production capacity of 54.4 million tonnes a year.
- Founded: 1918
- Votorantim Group Headquarters: São Paulo, Brazil
- Votorantim Group Annual Cement Production: 45.02 Mt/yr
- Votorantim Group Cement Production Capacity: 54.4 Mt/yr
- Votorantim Group Number of Employees: 40,922
Votorantim Group Products
- Pulp and paper
This is BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest cement companies in the world in 2020, ranked by a combination of revenue, actual cement production, and potential cement production capacity. LafargeHolcim, Anhui Conch Cement, and CNBM round out our list of the world’s largest cement companies in 2020 going by actual cement produced last year. Leading cement manufacturers are also starting to get to the next level, such as CNBM increasing its potential cement production capacity to 406 million tonnes a year, increasing their cement production capacity 11 times from previous figures.
Reach out and connect with the biggest cement companies on BizVibe.
Top 10 Cement Companies in the World by Production Capacity
The following is the complete list of the top 10 cement companies in the world by total production capacity in million tonnes. These companies are starting to increase their cement production capacity in large numbers to meet the future demands of the industry. CNBM leads the way, increasing its production number by over 11 times from previous figures.
Cement Production Capacity (Mt/yr)
|3||Anhui Conch Cement||288.0||China|
|8||China Resources Cement||78.3||China|
Top Countries by Cement Production 2020
China is the world’s largest cement producer at 2500 million tonnes of cement produced last year. India and the USA round out the top 3 at 280 and 83.3 million tonnes of cement produced annually. China produces more cement than 2nd to 10th ranking countries combined making the country the best destination to get cement produced.
Cement Production (Mt)
Source: USGS Mineral Survey
The Future of the Global Cement Industry
The top 10 cement companies in the world are increasing both production and cement plants due to rising demand in the industry. The biggest players seem to be in China as some companies are increasing the number of plants they operate exponentially. The outlook for the global cement industry looks very promising and led by the world’s largest cement companies. The future of the cement industry as it currently stands seems like its shifting to production in China. Connecting with Chinese cement companies seems like a smart choice in the industry.