Current State of the Top Agriculture Companies
The global agriculture industry contributes USD 2.4 trillion, making the market as important as any other industry in the world. Led by the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world in 2020, the global agricultural market employs over one billion people worldwide. The top agriculture company in the world by revenue is Cargill, bringing in USD 114.69 billion last year. The top 3 agriculture companies are then rounded out by ADM and Bayer. The biggest drivers of food demand are population and income — and both are on the rise. By 2050, the world population will be 9.1 billion, up from 7.4 billion in 2016. According to the UN, the best agriculture companies must increase food production by 70 percent compared to 2007 levels to meet the needs of the larger population.
BizVibe’s platform help businesses discover, track, evaluate, and connect with hundreds of thousands of public and private agriculture companies, including the top companies such as Cargill. For each company profile, users can access best-in-class supplier intelligence highlighting key products and services, risk of doing business, industry opportunities, key executive information, competitor insights, and much more.
Global Agriculture Industry Stats & Trends
- Growth in the agriculture sector is two to four times more effective in raising incomes among the poorest compared to other sectors.
- In 2018, agriculture accounted for 4 percent of global gross domestic product (GDP) and in some developing countries, it can account for more than 25% of GDP.
- In 2018, 22.0 million full- and part-time jobs were related to the agricultural and food sectors—11.0 percent of total U.S. employment.
- With a 12.9-percent share, food ranked third behind housing (32.8 percent) and transportation (15.9 percent) in the average American household’s 2018 expenditures.
- Over one billion people worldwide work in agriculture generating $2.4 trillion for the global economy.
- Key industry trends expected to impact the global agriculture market through 2025 include adoption of new technologies (farming digitization), development of mechanized harvesting tools, and sustainable farming for food security.
Top 10 Largest Agricultural Companies in the World 2020
Who are the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world in 2020? This is the complete list of the top agriculture companies in 2020 ranked by their revenues in USD billions.
Name of Company
Revenue (USD billions)
|1||Cargill||114.69||Minnetonka, Minnesota, U.S.|
|2||ADM||64.34||Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
|4||John Deere||37.35||Moline, Illinois, U.S.|
|5||CNH Industrial||28.1||London, United Kingdom|
|7||DuPont||21.57||Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.|
|8||Nutrien||19.6||Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada|
|9||Yara International||12.9||Oslo, Norway|
Ranking number 1 on our list of top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world in 2020 is Cargill, an American privately held global food corporation based in Minnetonka, Minnesota, and incorporated in Wilmington, Delaware. Cargill is a family-owned business, as the descendants of the founder (from the Cargill and MacMillan families) own over 90% of it. Cargill Employs over 166,000 employees in 66 countries, it is responsible for 25% of all United States grain exports. Last year, Cargill generated USD 114.69 billion in revenues — making it the top agriculture companies in the world.
- Founded: 1865
- Cargill Headquarters: Minnetonka, Minnesota, U.S.
- Cargill Revenue: USD 114.69 billion
- Cargill Number of Employees: 166,000
Cargill Agriculture Products
- Agricultural services, crop, and livestock, food, health and pharmaceutical, industrial & financial risk management, raw materials.
The Archer-Daniels-Midland Company ranks 2nd on our list of the largest agricultural companies in the world in 2020. ADM is an American multinational food processing and commodities trading corporation, headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. ADM operates more than 270 plants and 420 crop procurement facilities worldwide, where cereal grains and oilseeds are processed into products used in food, beverage, nutraceutical, industrial, and animal feed markets worldwide. ADM revenues reached USD 64.34 billion — making it one of the top agriculture companies in the world.
- Founded: 1902
- ADM Headquarters: Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
- ADM Revenue: USD 64.34 billion
- ADM Number of Employees: 32,300
ADM Agriculture Products
- Corn Syrup, High fructose corn syrup, Feed, Ethanol, Bioenergy, and Food.
Ranking number 3 on our list of the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world is Bayer. Bayer is a German multinational pharmaceutical and life sciences company and one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. Bayer is also one of the leading crop science companies in the world with more than 35 research sites and 175 breeding sites globally. In 2018, Bayer acquired Monsanto, a leading producer of genetically engineered crops, for $63 billion. Bayer CropScience develops genetically modified crops and pesticides. Last year Bayer generated USD 51.18 billion — making it one of the best agriculture companies in the world.
- Founded: 1863
- Bayer Headquarters: Leverkusen, Germany
- Bayer Revenue: USD 51.18 billion
- Bayer Number of Employees: 103,824
Bayer Agriculture Products
- Veterinary drugs, diagnostic imaging, general and specialty medicines, women’s health products, over-the-counter drugs, (formerly)diabetes care, pesticides, seeds, plant biotechnology.
4. John Deere
Ranking 4th on this list of the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world in 2020. John Deere is an American corporation that manufactures agricultural, construction, and forestry machinery, diesel engines, drivetrains (axles, transmissions, gearboxes) used in heavy equipment, and lawn care equipment. John Deere’s agricultural products include, among others, tractors, combine harvesters, cotton harvesters, balers, planters/seeders, silage machines, and sprayers. John Deere generated USD 37.35 billion last year, making it one of the top agriculture companies in the world in 2020.
- Founded: 1837
- John Deere Headquarters: Moline, Illinois, U.S.
- John Deere Revenue: USD 37.35 billion
- John Deere Number of Employees: 74,412
John Deere Agriculture Products
- Agriculture, construction, forestry, consumer & commercial equipment, diesel engines, automobiles.
CNH Industrial ranks 5th on this list of the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world in 2020. CNH Industrial is an American Italian multinational corporation with corporate offices in Amsterdam and Basildon. CNH Industrial designs produce, and sells agricultural equipment and construction equipment (Case IH and New Holland brand families), trucks, commercial vehicles, buses, and special vehicles (Iveco), in addition to powertrains for industrial and marine applications (FPT Industrial). CNH Industrial last year generated USD 28.1 billion — making it one of the best agriculture companies in the world.
- Founded: 2012
- CNH Industrial Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
- CNH Industrial Revenue: USD 28.1 billion
- CNH Industrial Number of Employees: 63,499
CNH Industrial Agriculture Products
- Agricultural Equipment
- Construction Equipment
- Trucks and Commercial Vehicles
- Buses, Special Vehicles
- Industrial and Marine Powertrains
Syngenta ranks 6th on this list of the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world in 2020. Syngenta is a global company that produces agrochemicals and seeds and is based in Basel, Switzerland. Syngenta conducts genomic research. Syngenta ranks third in seeds and biotechnology sales. Syngenta has eight primary product lines which it develops, markets, and sells worldwide; Its five product lines for pesticides are selective herbicides, non-selective herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, and seed care. Three product lines for seed products include corn and soya, other field crops, and vegetables. Last year Syngenta generated USD 23 billion.
- Founded: 2000
- Syngenta Headquarters: Basel, Switzerland
- Syngenta Revenue: USD 23 billion
- Syngenta Number of Employees: 48,000
Syngenta Agriculture Products
- Pesticides, seeds, flowers.
DuPont ranks 7th on this list of the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world. DuPont is an American company formed by the merger of Dow Chemical and E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company on August 31, 2017, and the subsequent spinoffs of Dow Inc. and Corteva. Before the merger, DuPont was the world’s largest chemical company in terms of sales. The merger has been reported to be worth an estimated $130 billion. DuPont generated USD 21.57 billion — making it one of the top agriculture companies in the world.
- Founded: 2017
- DuPont Headquarters: Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.
- DuPont Revenue: USD 21.57 billion
- DuPont Number of Employees: 98,000
Nutrien ranks 8th on this list of the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world in 2020. Nutrien is a Canadian fertilizer company based in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Nutrien is the largest producer of potash and the third-largest producer of nitrogen fertilizer in the world. Nutrien’s main competitors include other potash, phosphate, and nitrogen producers, such as The Mosaic Company, Yara International ASA, CF Industries Holdings Inc, and K+S AG. Last year Nutrien generated USD 19.6 billion.
- Founded: 2018
- Nutrien Headquarters: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Nutrien Revenue: USD 19.6 billion
- Nutrien Number of Employees: 20,000
Ranking 9th on this list of the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world is Yara International. Yara International is a Norwegian chemical company, known for the production of nitrogen fertilizer, nitrates, ammonia, urea, and other nitrogen-based chemicals. Yara International’s agricultural products include fertilizer and solutions, covering all necessary nutrients for any crop
- Founded: 1905
- Yara International Headquarters: Oslo, Norway
- Yara International Revenue: USD 12.9 billion
- Yara International Number of Employees: 12,883
Yara International Agriculture Products
- Nitrogen fertilizers, nitrates
Rounding out BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world in 2020. BASF is a German multinational chemical company and the largest chemical producer in the world. BASF subsidiaries and joint ventures in more than 80 countries and operates six integrated production sites and 390 other production sites in Europe, Asia, Australia, the Americas, and Africa. BASF last year generated USD 6.8 billion — making it one of the largest agricultural companies in the world.
- Founded: 1865
- BASF Headquarters: Ludwigshafen, Germany
- BASF Revenue: USD 6.8 billion
- BASF Number of Employees: 117,628
BASF Agricultural Products
- Chemicals, plastics, performance chemicals, catalysts, coatings, crop technology, crude oil, and natural gas exploration and production.
This is BizVibe’s list of the top 10 largest agricultural companies. Keep track of these companies on BizVibe.
The Future of the Global Agriculture Industry
The United Nations forecast of a “70% increase in global food demand by 2050”. This demand will be met by the top 10 largest agricultural companies in the world in 2020 as they continue to innovate and make food production more cost-effective and efficient.