Global Coffee Market Outlook
The global coffee market is growing at a rapid rate in 2020, led by stellar market performances from the top 10 coffee brands in the world. Coffee is one of the consumed and popular beverages worldwide. Coffee is prepared and presented in numerous different ways. Typically served hot, coffee can also be served as iced coffee. The global coffee market, which was valued at approximately USD 102.15 billion in 2019, and is expected to reach revenue worth USD 155.64 billion by 2026, is set to record a CAGR of nearly 6.2% over the period from by 2026.
Additionally, coffee is one of the most traded agricultural products in the world — 70 percent of total coffee production was exported, worth USD 19 billion. Starbucks ranks number 1 on our list of the top coffee brands in the world. The top 10 coffee companies in the world are then rounded out by Costa Coffee and Dunkin’ Donuts. This article will breakdown details of the top 10 coffee brands in the world in 2020 by revenue and brand value.
Additionally, this article will also dive into the top global coffee market insights, including:
- What is the best coffee brand in the world?
- How big is the global coffee market?
- Global coffee market statistics and trends you should know in 2020.
BizVibe is already helping users connect with the top coffee brands. Connect, network, and engage with these companies today.
Global Coffee Market Statistics and Trends
- The global coffee market, which was valued at approximately USD 102.15 Billion in 2019, and is expected to reach revenue worth USD 155.64 Billion by 2026, is set to record a CAGR of nearly 6.2% over the period from 2020 to 2026.
- Brazil has been the world’s largest producer of coffee for over 150 years.
- The coffee shops market worldwide is projected to grow by USD 58.7 billion, driven by a compounded annual growth rate of 4.1%.
- In 2017 alone, 70 percent of total coffee production was exported, worth USD 19 billion.
- World coffee production is estimated at 169.34 million bags in 2019/20.
- The global market for Coffee Shops is projected to reach USD 237.6 billion by 2025, driven by the silent importance and role in our society.
Top 10 Coffee Brands in the World 2020
Which is the best coffee brand in the world? This is BizVibe’s list of the top 10 coffee brands in the world ranked by brand value, revenue, and more.
Revenue (USD billions)
|1||Starbucks||26.5||Seattle, Washington, USA|
|2||Costa Coffee||1.54||Dunstable, England|
|3||Dunkin’ Donuts||1.37||Canton, Massachusetts, USA|
|4||McCafé||21.07||Oak Brook, Illinois, USA|
|5||Tim Hortons||3||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|6||Gloria Jean’s Coffees||0.54||Castle Hill, New South Wales, Australia|
|8||Folgers||0.22||San Francisco, California, USA|
|9||Keurig||2.86||Reading, Massachusetts, USA|
|10||Maxwell House||0.4||Tarrytown, New York, USA|
What is the best coffee brand in the world? Starbucks ranks number 1 on our list of the top 10 coffee brands in the world in 2020. Starbucks Corporation is an American multinational chain of coffeehouses and roastery reserves headquartered in Seattle, Washington. Starbucks is the world’s largest coffeehouse chain. Starbucks operates over 30,000 locations worldwide in more than 70 countries. Starbucks is known for serving hot and cold drinks, whole-bean coffee, micro-ground instant coffee known as VIA, espresso, caffe latte, full- and loose-leaf teas including Teavana tea products, Evolution Fresh juices, Frappuccino beverages, La Boulange pastries, and snacks including items such as chips and crackers; some offerings (including their annual fall launch of the Pumpkin Spice Latte) are seasonal or specific to the locality of the store. Lats year Startbbucks generated USD 26.5 billion — making it one of the top coffee brands in the world by revenue.
- Founded: 1971
- Starbucks Headquarters: Seattle, Washington, USA
- Starbucks Revenue: USD 26.5 billion
- Starbucks Number of Employees: 346,000
- Coffee beverages., smoothies, tea, baked goods, and sandwiches.
2. Costa Coffee
Costa Coffee ranks number 2 on our list of the top 10 coffee brands in the world in 2020. Costa Coffee is a British coffeehouse chain which is a subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company. It is headquartered in Dunstable, England. Costa Coffee was founded in London in 1971 by two brothers Bruno and Sergio Costa as a wholesale operation supplying roasted coffee to caterers and specialist Italian coffee shops. The Coca-Cola Company acquired the company for USD 5.1 billion in 2019. As of September 2018, Costa Coffee was available on 3 continents in 32 countries, with 3,882 total locations. Headquartered in Dunstable, England, Costa Coffee currently employs 18,412 people. Last year, Costa Coffee generates USD 1.54 billion — making it one of the most popular coffee brands in the world.
- Founded: 1971
- Costa Coffee Headquarters: Dunstable, England
- Costa Coffee Revenue: USD 1.54 billion
- Costa Coffee Number of Employees: 18,412
Costa Coffee Products
- Coffee, tea, sandwiches, sweet snacks, and iced drinks
Ranking 3rd on this list of the top coffee brands in the world is Dunkin’ Donuts. Dunkin’ Donuts is an American multinational coffee and doughnut company. It was founded by William Rosenberg in Quincy, Massachusetts, in 1950. Dunkin’ Donuts has 12,900 locations in 42 countries, Dunkin’ is one of the largest coffee shop and donut shop chains in the world. Dunkin’ Donuts products include donuts, bagels, coffee, and Munchkins donut holes. Headquartered in Canton, Massachusetts, United States, Dunkin’ Donuts currently employs over 270,000 people worldwide. Last year Dunkin’ Donuts generated USD 1.37 billion in revenue — making it one of the top 10 coffee brands in the world by revenue.
- Founded: 1950
- Dunkin’ Donuts Headquarters: Canton, Massachusetts, USA
- Dunkin’ Donuts Revenue: USD 1.37 billion
- Dunkin’ Donuts Number of Employees: 270,000
Dunkin’ Donuts Products
- Baked goods, hot beverages, iced beverages, frozen beverages, sandwiches, soft drinks.
Ranking 4th on this list of the top 10 coffee brands in the world is McCafé, a coffee-house-style food, and beverage chain, owned by McDonald’s. McDonald’s Corporation operates and franchises McDonald’s restaurants worldwide. With headquarters in Oak Brook, Illinois, USA, McCafé currently employs 210,000 people worldwide. Last year, McCafé generated USD 21.07 billion — making it one of the top coffee brands in the world in 2020.
- Founded: 1993
- McCafé Headquarters: Oak Brook, Illinois, USA
- McCafé Revenue: USD 21.07 billion
- McCafé Number of Employees: 210,000
5. Tim Hortons
Tim Hortons ranks 5th on this list of the top 10 coffee brands in the world in 2020. Tim Hortons is a Canadian multinational fast food restaurant chain. Tim Hortons is based in Toronto and is known for serving coffee, doughnuts, and other fast food items. Tim Hortons is Canada’s largest quick-service restaurant chain, with 4,846 restaurants in 14 countries, by December 31, 2018. In 2014, Burger King agreed to purchase Tim Hortons for USD 11.4 billion; the chain is now a subsidiary of the Canadian holding company Restaurant Brands International. Tim Hortons operates 4,846 stores. Last year Tim Hortons generated over USD 3 billion in revenues — making it one best coffee brand in the world by revenue.
- Founded: 1964
- Tim Hortons Headquarters: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Tim Hortons Revenue: USD 3 billion
Ranking 6th on this list of the top 10 coffee brands in the world is Gloria Jean’s Coffees. Gloria Jean’s Coffees is an American-Australian retail coffeehouse chain company that operates more than 1,000 coffee houses in 39 countries, including over 460 in Australia. Gloria Jean’s Coffees’ business model is a franchising system similar to many fast-food chains. Franchise owners pay franchise fees and royalties on their sales as well as operating costs. Gloria Jean’s Coffees operates 1,000 stores in more than 39 countries. Last year Gloria Jean’s Coffees generates USD 540 million in revenues — making it one of the top coffee brands in the world by revenue.
- Founded: 1979
- Gloria Jean’s Coffees Headquarters: Castle Hill, New South Wales, Australia
- Gloria Jean’s Coffees Revenue: USD 540 million
- Gloria Jean’s Coffees Number of Employees: 3,000
Nescafé ranks 7th on this list of the top 10 coffee brands in the world in 2020. Nescafé is a brand of coffee made by Nestlé. Nescafé comes in many different types, including NESCAFÉ GOLD, NESCAFÉ GOLD Espresso, NESCAFÉ Alta Rica, and more. Nestlé first introduced its flagship coffee brand in Switzerland in 1938. Nescafé is headquartered in Vevey, Switzerland, and generated USD 99.71 billion last year — making it one of the top coffee brands in the world by revenue.
- Founded: 1938
- Nescafé Headquarters: Vevey, Switzerland
- Nescafé Revenue: USD 99.71 billion
- Nescafé Number of Employees: 352,000
Notable Nescafé Products
- NESCAFÉ GOLD Instant and Roast Ground Coffee
- NESCAFÉ GOLD Espresso Instant Coffee
- NESCAFÉ GOLD Dark Roast Instant Coffee
- NESCAFÉ GOLD Original Coffee Capsules
- NESCAFÉ GOLD Dark Roast Coffee Capsules
- NESCAFÉ GOLD Original Coffee Capsules
- NESCAFÉ GOLD Cappuccino Instant Coffee
Folgers ranks 8th on this list of the top 10 coffee brands in the world in 2020. Folgers is a brand of coffee produced in the USA, and sold there, in Canada, and in Mexico. Folgers has been the best selling ground coffee in the USA since the 1990s. Folgers operates multiple coffee brands, including then Classic Roast, including Classic “Red Can” and half-caffeine medium roasts; Classic Complements, including Gourmet Supreme (Dark Roast), 100% Colombian (Medium-Dark Roast), French Roast (Medium-Dark Roast), Black Silk (Dark Roast) and Breakfast Blend (Light Roast); Simply Smooth, a medium roast coffee; and much more. Last year Folgers generates USD 222 million in revenue.
- Founded: 1850
- Folgers Headquarters: San Francisco, California, USA
- Folgers Revenue: USD 222 million
- Folgers Number of Employees: 1,038
Keurig ranks 9th on this list of the top 10 coffee brands in the world in 2020. Keurig is a beverage brewing system for home and commercial use. The main Keurig products are K-Cup pods, which are single-serve coffee containers; other beverage pods; and the proprietary machines that brew the beverages in these pods. Keurig has an 11% market share in the US for its ground coffee. Keurig beverage varieties include hot and cold coffees, teas, cocoas, dairy-based beverages, lemonades, cider, and fruit-based drinks. Through its brands and its partnership licensed brands, Keurig has over 400 different varieties and over 60 brands of coffee and other beverages. In addition to K-Cup pods, it includes Vue, K-Carafe, and K-Mug pods as well. Last year Keurig generated USD 2.86 billion — making it one of the top coffee brands in the world in 2020.
- Founded: 1998
- Keurig Headquarters: Reading, Massachusetts, USA
- Keurig Revenue: USD 2.86 billion
- Keurig Number of Employees: 25,500
10. Maxwell House
Rounding out BizVibe’s list of the top 10 coffee companies in the world in 2020 is Maxwell House. Maxwell House is an American brand of coffee manufactured by a like-named division of Kraft Heinz. Introduced in 1892 by wholesale grocer Joel Owsley Cheek, it was named in honor of the now-defunct Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville, Tennessee, which was its first major customer. Maxwell House is the highest-selling coffee brand in the United States. Maxwell house has 14.5% of the market share of Ground coffee in the USA — making it one of the top coffee brands in the world in 2020.
- Founded: 1892
- Maxwell House Headquarters: Tarrytown, New York, USA
- Maxwell House Revenue: USD 400 million
This is BizVibe’s list of the top 10 coffee brands in the world in 2020. These companies are directly contributing to the stellar growth of the global coffee market.
Top Coffee Brands in the World by Revenue 2020
What are the top 10 coffee brands in the world by revenue? This is BizVibe’s list of the top coffee brands in the world ranked by revenue generated in USD billions.
Revenue (USD billions)
|2||Starbucks||26.5||Seattle, Washington, USA|
|3||McCafé||21.07||Oak Brook, Illinois, USA|
|4||Tim Hortons||3||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|5||Keurig||2.86||Reading, Massachusetts, USA|
|6||Costa Coffee||1.54||Dunstable, England|
|7||Dunkin’ Donuts||1.37||Canton, Massachusetts, USA|
|8||Gloria Jean’s Coffees||0.54||Castle Hill, New South Wales, Australia|
|9||Maxwell House||0.4||Tarrytown, New York, USA|
|10||Folgers||0.22||San Francisco, California, USA|
The Future of the Global Coffee Market
Looking past 2020, coffee production, sales, and even the coffee shops are expected to grow exponentially. Driven by consumption, the coffee market is here to stay and led by the current top 10 coffee brands in the world and their innovative products.